Wakesiah Gospel Chapel – A Brief History and Doctrinal Statement
“Casting all your care upon Him for He careth for you.” 1 Peter 5:7
Wakesiah Gospel Chapel History
In 1904, a small group of evangelical Christians began meeting in a home on Irwin St. here in Nanaimo. Whithin a year the group had grown so that a larger meeting place was necessary. They rented the Finnish Church on Victoria Rd. and later bought the building and renamed it Victoria Rd. Gospel Hall. These Christians maintained a faithful testimony to the saving and keeping power of the Lord Jesus Christ in that location for almost 70 years. They met in accordance with the pattern of worship set by the early Christian church as recorded in the Holy Scriptures. In 1976 they sold the old Victoria Rd. Gospel Hall and moved to the present location at 170 Wakesiah Ave., where we seek to continue to serve the Lord Jesus Christ according to the scriptures. The new building was called Wakesiah Gospel Chapel.
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God, God’s full revelation to man and the final authority in all manners of belief and conduct.
- There is one God, eternally existing in three persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- The Lord Jesus Christ is God’s only begotten Son, sinless, perfect, born of a virgin, died on a cross for man’s sin, was buried, rose the third day and ascended to His Fathers right hand where He is now mediator between God and man and from where He will come again to gather all believers to Himself.
- The Holy Spirit was given to convict man of sin, righteousness and judgment and to be the Comforter to those who believe, guiding them into all truth, indwelling them and uniting them to Christ and one another.
- Man is born in sin and cannot merit God’s favor by his own righteous works. Christ paid the full penalty of sin forever and any person who in faith trusts upon the saving work of Christ on the cross, immediately receive forgiveness of sins, eternal life and the blessings of God’s salvation.
- There is one church, composed of all believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. It is not an organization, but a living, dynamic organism made up of living people who are spoken of in the bible as “The Body of Christ”, Christ their head being in heaven and they united to Him by virtue of their faith in His redemptive work on the cross at Calvary and the shedding of His precious blood.
- The local gathering of believers is a miniature expression of the whole church and is the vehicle by which the Lord Jesus Christ performs His functions in the world today.
- We believe that God has called us, as a fellowship of Christian believers, to worship, glorify and serve our risen Savior in obedience to His word.
- To provide a loving, caring and supportive fellowship that encourages growth toward spiritual maturity in every member of our fellowship, by the clear instruction of the Word Of God.
- To also fulfill our responsibility to win the lost in the world around us to faith in Jesus Christ, that they may by faith receive Him as Savior and Lord, and to disciple such in their new lives for Christ according to the great commission given in Mathew 28:19.